Methodists in the Washington area began meeting together officially in 1787, five miles southeast of Washington, at Grants Meeting House. Grants Meeting House was the very first building in Georgia built for Methodists to meet. From the congregation who met there, a core group formed and began making plans to establish a congregation in town. A congregation was formed in Washington and was officially recognized as a church in 1819. The Church was called the Washington First Methodist Episcopal Church.
In 1844, congregations in the north and south separated over the issue of slavery. As a result, in 1845, the name of the congregation in Washington was changed to the Washington First Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
In 1939, factions of the northern and southern Methodist Episcopal Church reunited with the Methodist Protestant Church and became known as The Methodist Church. The name of the congregation in Washington became Washington First Methodist Church.
In 1968, The Methodist Church and The Evangelical United Brethren merged to form the United Methodist Church. The name of the congregation in Washington became Washington First United Methodist Church.